Cockatiel Cove
Welcome to The Cockatiel Cove!Smile
Are you member? Do you want to ask a question,post pictures of your tiels discover facts about them? Something else?
Login!

Not a member?Interested in getting a tiel? Own one?Love them?Need to know more?
Join our community today!

Cockatiel Mutations Cockatiel
Cockatiel Cove
Welcome to The Cockatiel Cove!Smile
Are you member? Do you want to ask a question,post pictures of your tiels discover facts about them? Something else?
Login!

Not a member?Interested in getting a tiel? Own one?Love them?Need to know more?
Join our community today!

Cockatiel Mutations Cockatiel
Cockatiel Cove
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cockatiel Cove

These sweet little guys deserve their own forum! Don't you think? Join our community of cockatiel lovers, owners, enthusiasts, experts, breeders and exhibitors!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  New PostsNew Posts  RegisterRegister  Support Us!Support Us!  Log inLog in  
Donate to us!
Gallery
Cockatiel Mutations Empty
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» I'm new!
Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 pm by Lexi

» Hi I am new to this site .
Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 5:32 pm by kiesters

»  A Wholesome Cockatiel Diet
Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 5:30 pm by kiesters

» how can I tame a nasty bird?
Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm by kiesters

» Signs of an ill bird.
Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 3:38 pm by BrendaDup

» A guide for new members
Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:56 pm by Lexi

» So..how's everyone been?
Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:36 pm by Lexi

» what should i do?
Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:29 pm by Lexi

» New to the site and excited!
Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:27 pm by Lexi

Affiliates
free forum

Budgie Forum

Cockatiel Mutations

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WendyBeoBuddyAri
Egg
Egg
WendyBeoBuddyAri

Female Posts : 15
Activity Points : 23

PostSubject: Cockatiel Mutations   Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Normal grey: Normal grey is the original color of a cockatiel. They are almost impossible to find nowadays with all of the splits to certain other mutations. The males will have a bright yellow face like the pictured bird below and the females will have a grey face. The females also carry the barred tail feathers that the males molt out after their first feathered molt.
Notice the bright circular cheeks and dark color
Cockatiel Mutations Buddy2-2
female
Cockatiel Mutations JPOiX8lTkkRD2
RECESSIVE MUTATIONS:

PIEDOne of the most commonly found, and first mutations discovered was the Pied mutation. The general definition of the pied mutation is: Randomly placed feathers that lack any dark pigments(melanin) but keep the lighter pigments.
The pied mutation is found in almost all breeds or species of birds and does not play by any of the mutation rules. The feathers can be completely randomly placed at any given place on the bird. The Pied mutation will often cause the bird to grow in new pied feathers and lose some old ones. a pied bird can look one way when you first get it, and change within a few years.
Here is a picture of my pied bird Wendy when i first got her, and 2 years later to date. Not a significant change, but she can be used as a simple example
Cockatiel Mutations Wendy-1Cockatiel Mutations JbrzcDXTtp6Uma
There are four classifications of pied, Light pied, Pied, and Heavily pied and Clear Pied. Light pied is where the bird has AT LEAST one or two flight feathers that are considered 'clear'(clear means the pied feathers, lacking melanin pigment), Pied or Regular Pied means the bird has multiple clear flights on each wing as well as minimal pied body feathers(Wendy in the example is a regular pied) Heavily pied is when the bird's majority of feathers are clear, or pied feathers leaving 25% regular feathers and 75% pied feathers. Lastly, Clear pied is when the bird has less then 2 or 3 dark feathers left on the body.
Whiteface
The whiteface mutation completely takes out any yellow pigments in a cockatiel's body. It does the exact same thing as Lutino but opposite(Lutino will be explained later) The Whiteface males will have a completely white face, hence the name, with NO cheek patch and NO yellow pigment on the body whatsoever. The female will be just like a normal grey female but lacks the cheek patch and yellow pigments in the body.

PASTEL FACE:
Pastel face is co-dominant to the whiteface mutation. you can produce both whiteface chicks and pastel face chicks if you pair a pastelface to a whiteface. It dilutes the face leaving a nice even pastel color to it as well as any other deep yellow colors.
SEX LINKED MUTATIONS:: ONLY MALES CAN BE SPLIT TO SEX LINKED MUTATIONS
PEARL: Pearl is one of the most interesting mutations. it causes spotted like patterns throughout the feathers taking only parts of the melanin. The males once matured and molted will lose all of their pearls and they can be replaced by what is known as 'ghost pearls; which leave pearl like markings in a very light pattern throughout the male's back.(i am always looking for pictures! of course i can request use of pictures but until then, i can only get a male pearl, split to whiteface, and split to pied as well as what i have, pied and normal grey.)
The females will have patterned spots throughout their body,especially on the wings, and often will have scalloping in the chest/abdomen area. The tail feathers will be mostly yellow with a black vein down the middle.

LUTINO Lutino takes all dark pigment(melanin) out of the bird's feathers. The Lutino mutation is explained by a completely yellow and white bird with an orange cheek patch and wine colored eyes. People often confuse clear pied cockatiels with Lutino cockatiels do to the fact of their alike coloring, but the true way to tell if your bird is a Lutino cockatiel is to shine a light in the eye. if the eye is a brown color then your cockatiel is likely a clear pied. if the eye is a deep or bright red/wine color, then the bird is Lutino.

CINNAMON
Cinnamon is a diluting factor mutation. The main change with Cinnamon is that you result in a very diluted grey cockatiel, sometimes resulting in brown tones.

DOMINANT: Dominant mutations can be carried by one or both parents, either resulting in chicks of the mutation of a single or both parents. Both parents are not needed for chicks to be the mutation. There are two types of dominants, Single factor, and Double factor. Single factor is when only one parent carries the mutation and passes it to the chick, the chick is a single factor. The Single factor dominant chick will then produce 50% chicks with the same dominant mutation, and 50% normal or the mutation of the other parent. Double factor is when both parents carry the dominant gene. 100% of the chicks should carry the gene and can now pass the gene to 100% of their own chicks. the 3rd generation of chicks will then become single factor unless the parent was paired with another of the same dominant mutation.

Dominant Yellow cheek:
A yellow cheek mutation causes the cheeks to be diluted to a yellow color sometimes resulting in a yellow or very light orange cheek.

Dominant Silver:
This is another diluting factor in a cockatiel. It turns the feathers a beautiful powdery grey color. Double factor dominant silvers usually become much lighter(in the males case) then the single factor.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://Ferretspatternu.ucoz.com
Cinnyluver
Admin
Admin
Cinnyluver

Female Posts : 210
Activity Points : 236

PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Mutations   Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 12:26 am

Very interesting! Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
http://parrotpicasso.webs.com/
WendyBeoBuddyAri
Egg
Egg
WendyBeoBuddyAri

Female Posts : 15
Activity Points : 23

PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Mutations   Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 12:47 am

I am missing a bit of mutation info, but if you have any pictures to add, please do! Lexi deleted the other post, i didn't tell her to but she did LOL because i was going to make another one with a bit more detailed info.
If anything is confusing, please tell me!
Back to top Go down
http://Ferretspatternu.ucoz.com
CockatielCoveBot
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
CockatielCoveBot

Activity Points : 12

PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Mutations   Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 am

Very good Article!
Back to top Go down
Cinnyluver
Admin
Admin
Cinnyluver

Female Posts : 210
Activity Points : 236

PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Mutations   Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 11:41 am

If you want to add pics of my birds you can. I have a grey, a cinnamon pearl, a whiteface lutino, and a cinnamon pearl lutino. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://parrotpicasso.webs.com/
cockatiels R cool
cockatiels R cool

Name : sky
Female Posts : 4
Activity Points : 14

PostSubject: my cockatiel   Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 8:55 am

hi i have a cockatiel named molly i think she is female but im not sure what mutation she is.its not letting me add photos. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

the mum looks like this: Cockatiel Mutations 1665694582 the dad looks like this: Cockatiel Mutations 1596503436

and molly looks a bit like this: Cockatiel Mutations 588285939

can anybody help?
Back to top Go down
~Drini~
Admin
Admin
~Drini~

Name : Ujana
Female Posts : 195
Activity Points : 276

PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Mutations   Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 6:49 pm

cockatiels R cool wrote:
hi i have a cockatiel named molly i think she is female but im not sure what mutation she is.its not letting me add photos. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

the mum looks like this: Cockatiel Mutations 1665694582 the dad looks like this: Cockatiel Mutations 1596503436

and molly looks a bit like this: Cockatiel Mutations 588285939

can anybody help?

You might want to post a different thread on this topic. There we can focus on your problem and question. Very Happy Though, you will need to post pics. From your description, it looks like the mom is a white face, dad a pied, and Molly a pearled. It doesn't seem completely accurate, so we will need pics of all three! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ibudgie.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Mutations   Cockatiel Mutations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cockatiel Mutations
Page 1 of 1