Cockatiel Cove
Welcome to The Cockatiel Cove!Smile
Are you member? Do you want to ask a question,post pictures of your tiels discover facts about them? Something else?
Login!

Not a member?Interested in getting a tiel? Own one?Love them?Need to know more?
Join our community today!

How to tame a cockatiel Cockatiel
Cockatiel Cove
Welcome to The Cockatiel Cove!Smile
Are you member? Do you want to ask a question,post pictures of your tiels discover facts about them? Something else?
Login!

Not a member?Interested in getting a tiel? Own one?Love them?Need to know more?
Join our community today!

How to tame a cockatiel Cockatiel
Cockatiel Cove
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cockatiel Cove

These sweet little guys deserve their own forum! Don't you think? Join our community of cockatiel lovers, owners, enthusiasts, experts, breeders and exhibitors!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  New PostsNew Posts  RegisterRegister  Support Us!Support Us!  Log inLog in  
Donate to us!
Gallery
How to tame a cockatiel Empty
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» I'm new!
How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 pm by Lexi

» Hi I am new to this site .
How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 5:32 pm by kiesters

»  A Wholesome Cockatiel Diet
How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 5:30 pm by kiesters

» how can I tame a nasty bird?
How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm by kiesters

» Signs of an ill bird.
How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 3:38 pm by BrendaDup

» A guide for new members
How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:56 pm by Lexi

» So..how's everyone been?
How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:36 pm by Lexi

» what should i do?
How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:29 pm by Lexi

» New to the site and excited!
How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:27 pm by Lexi

Affiliates
free forum

Budgie Forum

How to tame a cockatiel

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lexi
Admin
Admin
Lexi

Name : Lexi
Female Posts : 279
Activity Points : 448

PostSubject: How to tame a cockatiel   How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 12:15 am

Cockatiels are not difficult to train as long as they are taught with patience and understanding. They often regard their owners as mother or father figures, and will therefore imitate the examples set by them.

It is best to start training cockatiels at a young age; it will be easier to teach them as they are more open to suggestion than older birds.

In order for you to train your tiel more advanced tricks, you must first start with the basics and teach your bird to be "tame." A tame bird will not bite you and will listen more readily. Cockatiels bite when they feel threatened or in danger. Your cockatiel must learn that you pose no danger to her.

First, put your hand in the cage and hold it there (you may wish to wear a leather glove as cockatiels beaks can be sharp and bites may hurt). This technique will allow the bird to get used to your hand.
Once the bird shows no fear of your hand, try to stroke the tiel's abdomen.
Gently press the lower abdomen, just above the feet, and your tiel should step onto your finger.
If the bird should spook and becomes nervous move your hand away from the bird, but let it remain in the cage, and then try again.
Once the bird has accepted your hand and is no longer threatened by you, teaching can begin to get the bird to move from your finger back to its perch.

Hold your finger next to the perch and make a movement to encourage your bird to step off of you. (I usually turn my finger slightly to compel Loki to step off).
While making the movement also say a word of command. (Some people say "up" or "down," but I usually use the word "Scoot" to signal to Loki that its time to move to her perch).
The last basic trick you can teach your cockatiel is the ladder.

Imitate a staircase with your fingers by holding one hand a little lower than the other.
Persuade your bird to step from one finger to the other by gently pressing on its lower abdomen, as was done before.
Move the first hand above the second and continue to repeat this movement so that your bird appears to be climbing a ladder.

The most important things to remember when training your tiel are:

Use affection or treats as a reward.
Call the bird by her name whenever you are near her (i.e. cleaning her cage, feeding her, etc.) to teach her to recognize it.
Remember that PATIENCE, KINDNESS, and REPETITION are key to the successful training of your tiel.
Always praise the bird intensely when she does what you want.
Train in a quiet place, free from distractions.
Always use positive reinforcement.
Keep training sessions short, allowing your bird time to rest.
Talk gently and NEVER shout at the bird or use aggressive behavior, which will only make the training more difficult because the bird will lose trust in you.
Remember to stay motivated and have patience. As Matthew Vriends says, "The initial training can take up quite a bit of time, but if it is your goal to have a tame bird, giving up is out of the question."

Once your cockatiel has mastered the basic tricks and is tame, you can start training her to do more advanced tricks. Cockatiels can learn how to fetch small objects, put balls in a basketball hoop, and place pennies in a piggy bank, among other things.

It is best when training cockatiels more advanced ticks to use a clicker and treats. A clicker is a small device made out of plastic and metal that costs no more than $2 dollars. Clicker training is effective because the quick click sound it makes allows your bird to recognize that what she did was good because she heard the click and then received a treat. She will begin to associate the click with treats, similar to Pavlov's dogs.

The first step is to teach your bird what the click sound means, since she has not heard it before.

Click the clicker
Offer a reward such as a treat or affection
Your bird will soon pick up the association between the two. Once she does then you can start associating her doing something good with hearing the click and getting a treat.

First, show her what you want her to do. She will imitate you. If you want her to put a ball in a basketball hoop show her how you do it.
Then, repeat the action but after make the click sound.
Once she does the trick, make the clicking sound, and offer a treat.
Check out these videos to see how clicker training works for fetching and putting balls into a hoop.

Some things to remember about clicker training:

Wait for your bird to eat the treat before repeating the trick.
Do not let her see the treat until you make the click sound.
Present the reward in the same place every time (i.e. in your hand or on the table).
Become creative and implement a ball point pen's clicking or the clicking of your tongue instead of buying t
he actual clicker.

Credit:http://crazyforcockatiels.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.superiorart.bigboardlive.com
Cinnyluver
Admin
Admin
Cinnyluver

Female Posts : 210
Activity Points : 236

PostSubject: Re: How to tame a cockatiel   How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Great info! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://parrotpicasso.webs.com/
Lexi
Admin
Admin
Lexi

PostSubject: Re: How to tame a cockatiel   How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm glad it helped!
Back to top Go down
~Drini~
Admin
Admin
~Drini~

Name : Ujana
Female Posts : 195
Activity Points : 276

PostSubject: Re: How to tame a cockatiel   How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Shakes is already tame.... But I will use this for his (hopefully!!) girlfriend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ibudgie.wordpress.com
Cinnyluver
Admin
Admin
Cinnyluver

PostSubject: Re: How to tame a cockatiel   How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 pm

I guess you could call my tiels tame. But I'm more of a flock member to them. I think they think of me as another cockatiel so some of mine are afraid of hands, but not of me (I hope that makes sense).
Back to top Go down
Cinnyluver
Admin
Admin
Cinnyluver

PostSubject: Re: How to tame a cockatiel   How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 pm

But I'm working on taming my foster bird right now so we can find him a good home.
Back to top Go down
~Drini~
Admin
Admin
~Drini~

Name : Ujana
Female Posts : 195
Activity Points : 276

PostSubject: Re: How to tame a cockatiel   How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Aww...poor guy. I hope he gets a good and loving home.Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ibudgie.wordpress.com
Cinnyluver
Admin
Admin
Cinnyluver

PostSubject: Re: How to tame a cockatiel   How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:43 pm

I hope so too. We haven't put him in the classifieds yet, but we probably will this week.
Back to top Go down
Lexi
Admin
Admin
Lexi

PostSubject: Re: How to tame a cockatiel   How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 3:33 am

He's such a pretty boy! I wish I could get him!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to tame a cockatiel   How to tame a cockatiel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to tame a cockatiel
Page 1 of 1